Changing or canceling a trip, due to an emergency, while in the midst of a trip is very costly and most times means that all of the prepaid money is lost. Trip interruption insurance can protect travelers from unforeseen circumstances once they have commenced their trip. This type of insurance is particularly beneficial when purchasing an organized tour, yet, this type of insurance applies to independent travelers as well. Anytime a traveler has prepaid a service, a ticket, a hotel room, a tour package, a cruise, etc., trip protection will reimburses the travel costs of a covered risk, if the travel plans are disrupted after the trip has begun. A standard trip interruption insurance policy covers up to 150% of the losses or nonrefundable financial penalties incurred.
Some of the possible disruptions include:
- Unexpected sickness, injury, and/or death of traveler or travel companion, traveler’s immediate family or their traveling companion’s immediate family
- Your tour operator is unable to perform as promised
- Weather or natural disaster
- Airline or airport strike
- Tour operator or provider bankruptcy
- Missed connection
- Evacuation at destination
- Military duty of either traveler
- Stolen passport or visa
- Non-issuance of a travel visa
Some of the costs that could be covered with trip interruption insurance could include:
- Airline ticket, car rental, bus trip or taxi fare to rejoin the trip or to return home
- Hotel or other accommodation costs
- Telephone calls
- Internet usage fees
- Prepaid, unused, nonrefundable trip costs
These reimbursement amounts are determined by the individual policy and total amount of the insured trip purchased.
Trip interruption insurance takes the risk out of travel. We recommend all travelers should get travel insurance quotes on our site and make sure to read the coverage details of each policy as they tend to vary from provider to provider and policy to policy.