Dressing stylishly for travel is surprisingly simple, even when you want to travel light. A major benefit of summer travel is you can forget about packing bulky boots and jackets and can easily pack your essentials in a carry on bag.
The key to packing stylishly is choosing a color theme, ideally centered around soft, neutral hues. White, while refreshing for summer, should be avoided for travel as garments can be easily soiled when hauling luggage to and from your destination and trying to eat and drink on a cramped plane. Black is normally an excellent color for travel attire, but may feel drab and heavy for the summer.
Below are a few items that should be in your summer travel bag:
1. A light scarf. While most of your wardrobe should be neutral, pops of color add excitement and elegance. Not only does a fun scarf provide color, it is also incredibly versatile. Use it as a shawl on cooler evenings or a chilly plane ride, or as a headscarf in tropical areas.
2. A pair of flats in a neutral color. Flats are a must-have while traveling, especially if the terrain is uncertain. There are few things less comfortable than trying to navigate cobblestone streets in heels. Choose a pair of flats with a slight platform heel for a polished look.
3. A sweater or blazer that won’t wrinkle easily. A nice blazer makes denim look fashionable in an instant. It is generally better to pick a darker color, which is dressier for evenings.
4. A pair of light cotton pants. Travel has benefited hugely from developments in the fashion world. There are now many attractive options other than jeans and sweatpants that are made of comfortable cotton fabric – perfect for a long day of summer sightseeing.
5. A cross-body bag. Although tote purses are generally more stylish, cross-body bags are more practical while traveling. They are hands-free and easy to keep an eye on. The bag should be relatively small, especially if the trip includes extensive walking. Decorative stitching or accents can make the bag suitable for more dressy occasions as well. A bag in a bright solid color will also liven up an otherwise neutral wardrobe.
6. A fashionable dress for evenings out. Forget the rule of neutrals here. Dress up with a bright pink, yellow, or sky blue that will blend nicely with the summer environment. Ideally, your neutral colored flats will complement the dress, eliminating the need to pack extra shoes for the evening.
There are many things to worry about while traveling, such as planning, choosing the right travel insurance, and expenses. With these wardrobe recommendations, you can pack in a flash and be on your way. Happy summer travels!