It seems like every day there’s another report of a terrorist attack that has harmed or killed innocent bystanders. This is enough to make anyone not want to leave their own house, let alone take a trip to an unfamiliar or foreign place. However, it is possible to travel without living in fear of a terrorist attack.
1. The statistics are still in your favor. Yes, the world can be a scary place, especially right now. Yes, there seem to be an increase in terrorist attacks. However, there’s still a minuscule chance that you’ll be part of a terrorist attack. You’re at risk every day for any number of things, regardless of where you are or what you do. Traveling to a safe part of the world doesn’t put you at greater risk.
2. You will not necessarily become a victim. It’s horrible when someone gets hurt or killed because of a terrorist attack, but there are often a greater number of people who come out from the situation unscathed. Since you’re always at risk for being injured or getting sick when traveling, it’s a good idea to have travel insurance for protection.
3. Not every part of the world is dangerous. Some are more dangerous than others and some are actually quite safe. Additionally, there are some areas of the world that have greater risks for other things, like disease, viruses or even intense sun exposure. Do your research to find out all of the risk factors for where you’re planning to travel – you need trip protection for a variety of situations that are terrorist-related.
4. Your fear outweighs your risk. Being scared of a terrorist attack is common right now, but don’t confuse your fear with the actual risk. You’re much more scared than you are at risk, even though that’s hard to separate psychologically. Arming yourself with knowledge and statistics may make it easier to grasp this concept.
5. Prepare for what you can. With travel insurance, you can take back control of certain things, like what will happen if you need to cancel or delay your trip, or how you’ll handle a medical emergency. Some plans even offer trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage that covers you in the event of a terrorist attack in your destination city.
Every time a terrorist attack happens, we can learn more about how to protect ourselves. Often, the most obvious tactics are the best – staying alert, being able to get in touch with the authorities and reporting unusual activity are incredibly important when traveling.