Before the public’s reliance on the Internet for information, people relied primarily on word-of-mouth recommendations from family, friends, co-workers and other people they trust to guide them when purchasing travel insurance policies. Many of those travelers who had no one to guide them learned the hard way that blindly choosing of a company and trip protection plan based only on the company’s overall reputation and the plan’s options can lead to disaster.
The General Importance of Reviews
Consumers today read online company, product and service reviews to acquire the same type of word-of-mouth guidance that they would from the people closest to them. They also read reviews to gain inside knowledge and tips about using new products and services.
The Importance of Travel Insurance Reviews
Insurance is one of those complicated products that many consumers have difficulty understanding. After all, setting up and using an insurance plan involves reading policy documents, understanding complex legal terminology and reviewing fine print. Insurance plans also contain a lot of rules that sometimes do more to protect the insurance company than the policyholder. Online trip protection reviews level the playing field by connecting travelers so that they can share their experiences and opinions. These connections help them in the following areas:
- Customer Service: Online reviews point out companies that have poor customer service, drag their heels on approving valid claims and fail to provide timely service.
- Coverage Exclusions: Reviews provide consumers knowledge about companies that have unusual or unexpected coverage exclusions, including zero coverage for injuries related to certain sports activities or driving or riding in certain types of vehicles.
- Pre-existing Conditions: Unlike medical insurance carriers, travel insurance companies can deny medical claims based on pre-existing conditions. Their argument is that this insurance is only for emergencies related to new medical problems.
- Contract Content: Reviewers also help travelers better understand tricky contract spots when they provide reviews that include details about legal terminology or fine print they misunderstood or that had two or more interpretations that later interfered with a claim.
- Schedule Disruption: Lastly, reviews help travelers stay clear of companies that have extremely strict trip disruption policies where they refuse to supply full refunds for plan cancellations involving personal or immediate family illness, family death or work schedule changes or charge cancellation fees.
When you quote, compare and buy on TravelInsurance.com, we are proud to offer a review system that shows you ratings and reviews from verified customers who have purchased and used the plan previously. Reading travel insurance reviews can help give you a well rounded picture of what to expect with a certain provider or plan.